Immune system Disorders
The immune system is the structures and processes within our body which are able to detect bacteria, microbes, viruses, toxins, and parasites and protect your body from their invasion. Individuals who have an immune system disorder either have an immune system which is over-activity, attacking and damaging healthy cells and tissues, or underactive, without enough strength to fight dangerous infections and outside invaders.
Common conditions which occur from an overactive immune system include allergies and asthma. If you have these conditions and your body senses a foreign substance or allergen such as pollen, pet dander, or dust it releases histamine.
Unfortunately, if you have allergies it is because the body has overreacted to the "invasion," and the reaction can include symptoms such as rashes, vomiting, and breathing issues.
Other immune system disorders can be much more serious. Some of the most common conditions include:
- Asthma – A condition which is caused by over activity and inflammation in an individuals lungs, making it difficult to breathe.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis- A condition where the immune system produces too many antibodies to fight non-threatening cells causing swelling, pain, and inflammation of joints.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)- A condition where the immune system attacks the lining of the intestines causing problems such as rectal bleeding, pain, fever, weight loss, diarrhea, and frequent bowel movements.
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)- A condition where the immune system attacks the cells of the nervous system. This condition is progressive and can eventually cause lack of coordination, muscle weakness, and blindness.
Explore other Common Disability Categories
- Cardiovascular Disorders
- Connective Tissue Diseases
- Digestive Disorders
- Endocrine Disorders
- Genitourinary Disorders
- Hematological Disorders
- Immune system Disorders
- Impairments that Affect Multiple Body Systems
- Mental Disorders
- Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Neurological Disorders
- Respiratory Disorders
- Skin Disorders
- Special Senses and Speech Disorders