Thread: How many work credits do I need to qualify for SSDI?

How many work credits do I need to qualify for SSDI?

how many credits or years do I need ?

Social Security Disability Insurance is awarded to claimants who are considered disabled and who have worked and have attained an “insured” status. What this really means is that you have worked and earned enough of what the Social Security Administration calls “work credits” to be considered eligible for SSDI.

According to the SSA website, how many credits you need for ¬disability benefits depends on how old you are when you become disabled.

• If you become disabled before age 24, you generally need 1˝ years of work (six credits) in the three years before you became disabled.
    • If you are 24 through 30, you generally need credits for half of the time between age 21 and the time you became disabled.
    • If you are disabled at age 31 or older, you generally need at least 20 credits in the 10 years immediately before you became disabled.

Workers can receive one credit for each $1,120 of earnings, up to the maximum of four credits per year (in 2011).

If they told you that you do not have enough work credits to qualify for SSDI, it means you have not worked enough or recently enough to be considered “insured”. They will make this determination without even evaluating your mental or physical health condition.

If you do not qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance, you may still qualify for disability benefits through Federal government. The Federal government also administers the Supplemental Security Income disability program for individuals who are blind, disabled or aged (65 years or older) and who meet the required income and resource limitations.
    Find a Disability Attorney to help with your SSDI claim.