Thread: How do I apply for SSI benefits for my child?

How do I apply for SSI benefits for my child?

how do i apply for my child

Help with your disability claim questions.
    If you would like to apply for SSI benefits for your child you can start the process by visiting the SSA website www.ssa.gov. Go to the Disability section and choose the link entitled “Applying for Disability Benefits for Children”.

According to the SSA, you will need to complete the Application for Supplemental Security Income and the Child Disability report. Only the Child Disability Report can be done online. To complete the SSI application you will have to contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and talk to an SSA representative.

Steps to Apply for SSI benefits for a Child:

1. Fill out the Child Disability Starter Kit. This kit will answer all of the most common questions that parents have about applying for SSI benefits. This kit also contains a user friendly worksheet which will help you gather and document information about your child.
    2. Contact the Social Security Administration by calling 1-800-772-1213. The SSA needs to evaluate your family’s income and resources to determine if you meet the nonmedical requirements of the SSI program. If our resources and income are too high, your child will be denied benefits, regardless of the severity of their condition.
    3. Fill out the online Child Disability Report. This report gathers important information about your child, but it also gives the SSA permission to contact your child’s doctors so they can request medical records for your child.

There are certain conditions where the SSA will start SSI benefits until they have a chance to review the claim. If your family meets the income and resource requirements and your child has one of these conditions, you may receive benefits immediately while the SSA reviews your child’s claim. Common conditions that may be found automatically disabling can include:

• HIV infection
    • Total blindness
    • Total deafness
    • Cerebral palsy
    • Down syndrome
    • Muscular dystrophy
    • Severe mental retardation (child age 7 or older)
    • Birth weight below 2 pounds, 10 ounces

The Social Security Disability Administration may determine after reviewing your child’s Supplemental Security Income claim that their condition is not severe enough to continue awarding SSI benefits and will stop payments. You will not have to repay the benefits you have received up until this point.
    Trouble getting Disability Benefits? Find a disability advocate to help you with your Social Security Disability Claim.