Thread: If my husband gets SSDI will that hurt my chances of getting disability benefits?

If my husband gets SSDI will that hurt my chances of getting disability benefits?

My husband is on social security disability and makes over $1000 a month. does that affect my claiming disability also?

There are two federally administered programs which provide monthly cash assistance for disabled claimants….

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

The Social Security Disability Insurance program or SSDI is a disability program which provides disability payments to workers who have a severe mental or physical health condition which is expected to last for at least 12 continuous months and who are no longer able to work or to perform work at a “substantial level”.

In addition to the medical criteria established by the Social Security Administration (SSA), workers must also have worked long enough and paid enough in payroll taxes to be considered “insured” by the SSA. The Social Security Administration determines the number of work credits which must be accumulated by disabled workers to qualify for SSDI, and the number of credits needed to qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance can vary if you become disabled at a young age. Generally, most workers will need approximately 20-40 work credits to qualify for SSDI.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Supplemental Security Income is provided to the aged (65 years or older), blind or disabled who are not considered “insured” by the Federal government but need cash assistance to meet their minimum monthly expenses.

Supplemental Security Income is a “needs” based program and is only provided to claimants who have VERY limited income and resources and who meet additional non-economic considerations. Claimants who are attempting to qualify for SSI due to a disability must also be unable to work for at least 12 continuous months.

If you qualify for SSDI benefits your husband's income is not considered. If you do not qualify for SSDI, because SSI is a program for those with VERY limited income and resources, if your husband was making too much money you may not qualify. If your husband is getting SSI benefits (which it sounds like he is not because his payment is high) then your combined SSI benefit cannot be over a certain limit and his benefit may be reduced if you are also awarded SSI.
    Find a Disability Attorney to help with your SSDI claim.