Thread: Can I change my status from SSI to SSD?

Can I change my status from SSI to SSD?

can i change my statis from ssi to ssd

Help with your disability claim questions.
    The Social Security Administration administers two disability programs the Social Security Disability Insurance program and the Supplemental Security Income program.
    To qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance or SSDI you must meet the following criteria:

• The Social Security Administration must determine you are disabled.
    • You must be disabled prior to your full retirement age.
    • Your disability must be expected to last least 12 months or be expected to result in your death.
    • You must be legally allowed to work in the United States.
    • You must be a United State’s citizen.
    • If you are 31 years of age or older you must have paid payroll taxes and worked for 5 of the last 10 years. If you are younger than 31 years of age there are other qualifications.

To qualify for Supplemental Security Income or SSI you must meet the following criteria:

You do not have to have worked or paid taxes but you must be either disabled, blind, or aged and have VERY limited income or resources. Limited resources is defined as having liquid assets (stocks, bonds, extra cars, cash) which are less than $2,000 (for an individual) and $3,000 (for a couple).

Disabled for both programs means you are unable to perform work at a substantial level due to a disabling mental or physical health condition that is expected to last for at least 12 continuous months or result in your death.

When a claimant applies for disability the Social Security Administration will first see if they qualify for SSDI. If you do not have enough work credits to qualify for SSDI, the Social Security Administration will then see if you qualify for Supplemental Security Income. If you do not qualify for either program you will not be awarded benefits by the Social Security Administration. You can not "change your status" or choose between the two programs. You will only qualify for either program by meeting the above criteria.
    Trouble getting Disability Benefits? Find a disability advocate to help you with your Social Security Disability Claim.