Do You Need Help With Your Disability Claim?

Disability Attorneys and Advocates can help you in all phases of the disability claim process.

Contact an advocate today for your FREE case evaluation!

Free Online Evaluation!

Conversion Disorder and Receiving Social Security Disability

A diagram of the Human Nervous system.
Image via Wikipedia
You find yourself in a situation where you are afraid to talk. Then, following the situation, you lose your voice and are unable to speak. What caused this to happen? You may have a neurological disorder called conversion disorder. This is a disorder where physical symptoms are unconsciously caused by a traumatic or stressful situation. Conversion disorder is one of several psychological disorders that are called somatoform disorders. These are psychological disorders that are marked by physical symptoms that have no discernable physical cause. Conversion disorder is also known by other names. It is also referred to as hysterical neurosis, conversion type and Briquet’s syndrome. Fortunately, conversion disorder is rare. It can show up at any age, but it usually develops from late childhood to early adulthood. It has been estimated that women outnumber men with this psychological disorder as much as 6 to 1. The signs and symptoms of conversion disorder usually affect your senses or your movement. Things like your ability to see, hear, walk or swallow are examples of what may be affected by this disorder. It is well to remember that the signs and symptoms of conversion disorder are involuntary. In other words, you have no control over them. You do not consciously act out or pretend to have these signs and symptoms. The signs and symptoms of conversion disorder usually happen suddenly after a traumatic or stressful event. There are several different signs and symptoms that you may experience. These include: You or a loved one may have conversion disorder. This disorder and/or complications resulting from it may be the reason why you are not able to work. It may be causing you or your loved one’s disability. If this is so, you may need assistance. You may need financial help. You or your loved one may be thinking about applying for the financial assistance that you need from the Social Security Administration by applying for Social Security disability benefits or disability benefits because of the disability caused by conversion disorder and/or complications resulting from this condition. Have you or your loved one tried this option already and been denied by the Social Security Administration? If you or your loved one is considering appealing the denial by the Social Security Administration, think about this. People who have a disability attorney working for them like the one you will find at are approved more often than people who are not represented by a disability lawyer.