Diabetes what's the best way to apply for SSDI benefits?Recently on our disability forum a user asked, I have had diabetes for years but now its gotten to the point where I can no longer work. I need to know whats the best way is to apply for SSDI benefits for diabetes. Can I do it online or do I have to go to the SSA office? Although there are several ways to apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) for diabetes, assuming you are able to operate a computer, the best way to get SSDI benefits fast is to complete your application online. Below well discuss your options and talk about the pros and cons of each application method.
Three ways to get SSDI benefits for diabetesBefore taking any steps to apply for SSDI benefits you will need to ensure you meet the nonmedical requirements. Specifically, you have sufficient work credits to be insured for SSDI, your condition is severe, and it will last for at least 12 continuous months. There are also age restrictions- you must be younger than your full retirement age- and you must generally be a U.S. citizen (exceptions exist). If you meet the nonmedical requirements the second step is to make sure you have all of the information you need to apply. Many claimants skip this step, but its critical to ensuring you are able to complete all subsequent steps. What information will I need to apply for SSDI with diabetes? The best way to identify the information you need to apply for SSDI benefits for diabetes is to go to www.ssa.gov and review the disability application checklist. General information which you need to collect includes:
- Your Social Security number and proof of your age;
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of doctors, caseworkers, hospitals, and clinics that took care of you and the dates of your visits;
- Names and dosages of all the medications you are taking;
- Medical records from your doctors, therapists, hospitals, clinics and caseworkers, that you already have in your possession;
- Laboratory and test results;
- A summary of where you worked and the kind of work you did; and
- Your most recent W-2 form or, if you were self-employed, a copy of your federal tax return.
How to complete your application for diabetesThere are three methods you can use to complete your application for diabetes.
- Complete your application online.
- Call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213
- Call or visit your local Social Security office.